Sunday, February 15, 2009

Comic Con Wrap Up Part 2

Sorry for the delay, I got a little tied up but I’ll finish my report now. The second day that I went to the convention I attempted to pull myself away from the Ghostbusters booth and go to some other places to check out the other games. Atari also had the Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, playable so I went to check that out first. The best part of the game was the presentation, they had Riddick look-a-likes on the outside of the booth and headphone so you could really hear what was going on in the game. However the game itself wasn’t so great, it was a very mediocre first person shooter, not much originality and it was extremely hard. I couldn’t get past the first onslaught of bad guys. The only thing I really liked was at the beginning you don’t have a weapon and you have to steal one, the mechanic is based on good timing and it worked well, but overall this isn’t exactly the cream of the crop.
I passed by Sega’s booth and they had several games on display, Madworld for the Wii was the most visually appealing with a black and white display but the blood was red. It had the feeling of Sin City, visually, but I didn’t get a chance to actually play it. They also had Sonic and the Black Knight, that game looked very similar to Sonic Unleashed, which had pretty good gameplay mechanics but once again I didn’t get to play it, the lines were actually pretty long.
Activision had X-Men Origins: Wolverine on display and their set-up was quite impressive, with a room that had the playable demo and several of the developers were there to guide you through it. They also had cool giveaways but the line for this was unbelievable and I never felt inclined to wait that long.
I know, it sounds like I didn’t really play any of the games but there was a massive amount of game and non-game related stuff to do so I only got to actually play two games. The other game I played was Prototype and I was impressed. I went by the booth and began talking to one of the developers who was friendly and helpful with my questions, I hadn’t heard anything about the game other than the name so I got him to run through the plot. The basic idea is that you (the character’s name has slipped my mind) wake up and have all of these special abilities but no memory of who you are and what is going on. The military is chasing you and to top everything off there is a virus loose turning people to zombies. You need to piece together your life story by the memories of specific people, you “consume” them by killing them and sucking up their life essence to get their memory. You also gain the ability to use their physical appearance to deceive and to command certain unknowing people. The movement is basic, dual stick with a third person camera. You can glide, grow blades out of your hands (like Wolverine) run up buildings, pound the ground to cause damage, and if you charge up your fists and lock on to a target you can slam the ground and spikes will grow up from under the enemy and impale them. That was easily the best move, but there is also an elbow-slam where you jump high in the air and press “Y” you will go WWE on the ground or on objects in the environment and slam into them causing enough damage to level tanks. You can also jump in the air and press “X” to jump onto a person and surf on their body until they are completely crushed. The graphics are very good and the gameplay in smooth, the game is coming out in June, so after I beat Ghostbusters about a million times, I’ll probably check this game out.
Well that’s it for the NYCC 2009, I had a great time and I hope you guys enjoyed my wrap up. I’ll be posting a new review soon, probably TMNT for the Xbox 360 and I’ll be writing a new article about some of the worst consoles ever (Virtual Boy, Atari 5200 etc) So stay tuned.